My First Day in the Classroom


Today, after learning about learning for several weeks I had my first opportunity to enter the classroom and actively see theory in action. I am completing my first practicum in a grade one class and couldn’t be more excited and enthused! Walking into the school this morning and meeting with staff and students felt like coming home. My experiences with the children today confirmed what I already knew about myself, that I simply belong in the classroom. Pedagogy is a passion of mine and I feel most fulfilled when I am engaging with students in a learning environment. I know I am going to be happy here and have a great learning experience of my own.

To briefly summarize my day, I first met with the principal, my peers and faculty advisor to discuss what placement will involve and the philosophies that the school values and upholds. This meeting made me realize that I am surrounded by positive and supportive people that will help enrich my experience and create solid foundations for my own teaching practice.


I spent most of the day balancing observing the class whilst taking copious notes and interacting with the students. I wanted to make sure that I introduced myself and made my presence felt. The children were very welcoming and I had the opportunity to read one on one with them, and also answer their questions as they came up during several of their lessons.

 
I am really impressed with how the grade one teacher has her classroom setup. There is good-sized carpet area in the corner for both reading and lesson instruction. There are also several “special literacy spots” designed into the architecture of the class. Students who read quietly on their own were rewarded and instructed to go either to the “fancy chair”, “reading tent” or “leaf shelter” in the room where they could enjoy extra comfort and luxury.

My associate teacher that I have been paired with was extremely supportive and I am thrilled to be working with her in the classroom. She is a Brock Alumni herself and I can already tell that I am going to learn so much from her. She enthusiastically welcomed me and told me that her grade one class is my classroom as well. It feels great to be in such a nurturing educational space.

I took two photos of the classroom this morning and will post more in future.
To conclude, I feel happy and grounded after my first day in practicum. It’s going to be a great year.

3 comments:

  1. It looks like a great environment to be in! Glad you had such a great first day. Have a fantastic placement!

    Aviva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your first day Lisa! I am so incredibly envious that you have an archive of your thoughts and reflections...how cool will that be in many years to come?
    One thing that I really liked was your talk about about the environment, and space in the room. You've put a huge smile on my face. Just awesome Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    Seems as if you have arrived in a great place! It sounds like a good fit, like a well worn slipper where the foot just slides in ever so comfortably and is warm and secure. Some great pictures here to capture your surroundings that hopefully will become a second home in Block I.
    Enjoy! Soak it all in. Be a sponge.

    ReplyDelete